Oct 30, 2009

"Walk Like An Egyptian"... go ahead, sing the song!

Darron and I just returned from a 12 day holiday in Egypt! We flew into Cairo and spent two days there before flying to the coast area of Sharm el Sheikh (on the Sinai peninsula) to relax. Neither of us had ever been to the country or the continent before so it was very interesting to see and learn about the Muslim culture. Cairo is on the continent of Africa and Sharm el Sheikh is on the Asia continent. Sharm el Sheikh wasn't a place we had really heard of before moving to Russia-but it is very popular holiday spot for the Russians and American expats!
Cairo was very hot, busy, and full of crazy drivers who think the lane lines are for decoration! We took a private tour of the Egyptian Museum, Pyramids, and the Sphinx. Out of respect, we both wore pants--which made the 90 degree temperture seem even hotter!

Map of Egypt


Sunset as we were descending into Cairo



Our Egypt visas. After landing at the Cairo airport, we went to a bank teller type window and gave them $30 dollars (US). They tore off two visas, pulled off the sticky stuff and plopped it right into our passports. If only our Russian visas were this easy!


Egyptian Museum. I'm not a big fan of museums, but this one was pretty interesting. Saw mummies and all! Unfortunately, no pictures were allowed inside.

Darron and I in front of one of the Giza pyramids. Of the 100+ pyramids in Egypt, the Giza ones are the most famous. The Pyramid of Khufu is the largest Egyptian pyramid, and the only remaining wonder of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World! They used approx 2.5 million stones to build the largest--each weighing an average of 2.5 tons! WOWZA! No stealing that big boy!


We were able to see a panoramic view of all three Giza Pyramids! Look how talented I am!


Self-Explanatory!

Darron and I in front of of the Giza Pyramids. We thought we should take one normal picture!

The Sphinx...is the largest monolith statue in the world!
Had to take a silly Sphinx picture too!

1 comment:

  1. Love your photos, looks like a fantastic trip...I am still trying to figure out the self-explanatory one! Mitzi

    ReplyDelete